1. Ordering a translation
When sending a document to be translated, please include the full text (preferably in the final version) as well as supporting documentation.
Please provide the answers to these questions with the text:
1. Who is the translation’s target audience? General public? Specialists? International or country-specific?
2. Is this the final version? (I charge by the hour for updating my translation to new versions.)
3. Are there images, PDF files, page layouts, sections already in English?
4. Can you provide links or files of English texts in the same field written in the style you would like for the translation?
5. Will the Italian version of the text be used? Do you want me to make note of any errors I find in the Italian?
Please also provide a contact (the author, when possible) to answer questions about the text.
Based on the text provided, I will give you a quote, which may be a flat amount, per hour, per source word or per standard source page (1500 characters, including spaces). Additions or revisions to the original are subject to additional costs, charged by hour or a lump sum extra charge. We will also agree on a deadline. Acceptance of quote by email constitutes an agreement for me to proceed with the job. Projects canceled after quote has been accepted and work begun will be charged partially based on work already completed.
My minimum charge for very short jobs is €75. I may make exceptions in special cases. This does not apply to certificates.
4. Late fee
I apply a €25 late fee for every month after the invoice due date.
I prefer receiving texts to be translated in Word format. For PDFs, images, Excel files, etc. I charge 10% extra. For urgent jobs, I charge between 10% and 30% extra, depending on the level of urgency. I will specify when you order.
6. Invoice and payments
Questions about or problems with the translation should be brought to my attention as soon as possible, and two weeks after delivery at the latest. I will do my best to resolve any problems. The client is responsible for paying for the commissioned translation, disputes notwithstanding.
I am proud of my work and request to be credited as translator with a link to this site whenever possible, as follows: English translation by Miriam Hurley.
9. Queries and revisions
I prefer to use the comment feature of Word to send my queries on the text and receive queries and comments on the translation. I can also send queries in emails.
10. Style guide
I use U.S. English and follow The Chicago Manual of Style unless otherwise requested.