Study in the U.S.
Certified translations

Get your Italian high school report cards, university transcripts, or academic degrees translated into English by a native translator certified by the American Translators Association

If you have an Italian university degree or high school diploma and would like to study at a foreign university — in the United States, the UK, and many other non-English-speaking countries — you generally must submit a certified translation of your report card, degree, diploma, and other academic documents as requested by the university. A certified English translation means a translation accompanied by a signed statement attesting to the accuracy of the translation.

I am a native American English speaker and certified to translate Italian to English by the American Translators Association. I have translated hundreds of academic documents into English, affixing my statement, signature, and seal with my ATA certification number. Every document I have translated over the last 20 years has been accepted by the university or accrediting institution.

ATA certification

What is a certified translation?

The differences between a sworn, official, legal, or certified translation can be very confusing because requirements and definitions vary from country to country. For example, In Italy, sworn translations require a court-certified translator to go in person to the courthouse and swear to the accuracy of the translation. Fortunately for Italian students wishing to study in the U.S., the UK, and many other countries, the process for certifying the translation of their academic records (including report cards, degrees, diplomas, transcripts, and course descriptions) is much simpler and can be done exclusively through email. The translator attaches to the translation a signed “statement of accuracy” including the translator’s contact details. In most cases, the translator is not required to be certified, but some institutions in the United States do request ATA certificationHere’s more info from the American Translator Association’s website.

As each university or accrediting institution may have different requirements, you should always refer to their instructions.

Most academic institutions require certified or official translations of transcripts and report cards

University of California at Berkeley
University of California at Berkeley

The prestigious School of Information at the University of California in Berkeley requires that academic documents be translated by an ATA-certified translator like I am for Italian to English.

“Q: Are there requirements for English translations of academic documents?
A: Yes. Translations must come directly from the academic institution or an ATA-certified translator. Translations from WES, translations agencies, individuals, or ATA-certified corporations are not acceptable.”

University of Chicago, Illinois
University of Chicago, Illinois

The requirements for international applications to the University of Chicago, IL state:

“Transcripts and marksheets issued in a language other than English require an ATA-certified translation. “

Syracuse University’s undergraduate application requirements ask applicants to have their records translated by a reputable translator:

“If you have completed academic work outside the U.S. you must also provide official academic credentials as well as English translations of the documents. If only one document is available, we will accept notarized or certified copies of the original document. If translations are needed, it is your responsibility to have the credentials translated by a reputable translation and evaluation service.”

Florida International University in Miami requests official translations for the transcripts of international students:

Freshman (FTIC) Applicants: High School transcripts that are not in English will need official translations along with original documents”


How much does a certified translation of academic records cost?

Send me the PDFs or scans of the documents you need to have translated, including all details about timing and purpose of the translation. I will quickly send you a quote for cost and time. My rates start at €85 for small jobs.


How long does it take to get a certified translation of school records and degrees?

This also, naturally, depends on the quantity of the documents. My average turnaround time for certified translations of five years of high school report cards and diploma is 3 days. Single-page degrees and diplomas, I can usually do within 24 hours. 

Get in touch!

    How did you find me?

    Name of person who referred you to me:

    Please prove you are human by selecting the flag.